Salvos Stores, will once again, support the White Ribbon Campaign in 2016.
White Ribbons will be available for purchase for $2 and wristbands for $5 from Salvos Stores.
What is the White Ribbon Campaign
White Ribbon is the world’s largest movement of men and boys working to end men’s violence against women and girls, promote gender equality, healthy relationships and a new vision of masculinity.
A nation that respects women, in which every woman lives in safety, free from all forms of men’s abuse.
White Ribbon is a unique, national primary prevention social change organisation that works through a primary prevention approach based on the understanding that men are central to achieving the social change necessary to stop violence against women. We engage men to stand up, speak out and act to influence the attitudes and behaviours of some men who commit violence against women, based on the understanding that most men are not violent.
Through education, awareness raising, creative campaigns, preventative programs and partnerships, White Ribbon provides the tools for men to stop violence against women in their community and beyond.
6 ways of being White Ribbon
White Ribbon’s awareness and education initiatives
- Schools: Breaking the Silence in Schools Program is now in more than 320 schools reaching more than 220,000 students in across Australia. We are pleased to announce that in 2016, White Ribbon Australia has expanded the award-winning Breaking the Silence Schools Program to locations in every state and territory.
- Universities: National take-up through White Ribbon partnership with the National Union of Students.
- Workplace Program: The internationally recognised program has reached over 200 organisations to date and 500,000 Australian adults via their workplaces. The robust and structured 18 month program targets adults via their employer to raise awareness of and enhance positive action to help stop violence against women. White Ribbon Workplaces create a strong culture of respect, which increases productivity, increases retention, attracts quality talent and reduces risk and absenteeism.
- White Ribbon Oath: Over 192,203 people have now sworn the Oath: I will stand up, speak out and act to prevent men's violence against women.
- White Ribbon Ambassadors: There are more than 2,400 White Ribbon Ambassadors leading the Campaign. White Ribbon Ambassadors are men who recognise the importance of men taking responsibility and playing a leadership role in preventing men’s violence against women. White Ribbon Ambassadors are formal representatives of White Ribbon Australia who have the knowledge, skills, attributes and determination to influence Australian men to critically evaluate their attitudes and behaviours toward women.